The Adventist Church’s historical connection to the island of Trinidad is rich and varied. It can be traced back to the arrival of missionaries in the late 1800s. The Adventist work has its genesis in the West Indies Union Conference which was established in 1906. By early 1916, it became clear that the South Caribbean Conference was now ready to become a conference and was thus established. From its humble beginning of 9 churches and 348 members, we have grown to over 100 churches and 50'000 members.
In 1927, the East Caribbean Training College began operations intending to prepare young men and women in service to God and for humanity and was the first tertiary education institution in Trinidad and Tobago. Today, it is now known as the University of the Southern Caribbean.
Initially, the South Caribbean Conference consisted of all the islands of the southern Caribbean, from Barbados southwards. Barbados and St. Lucia were realigned with the Leeward Islands Conference on January 1, 1930, leaving the South Caribbean Conference territories as Grenada, St. Vincent & the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago. St. Vincent and the Grenadines were re-aligned with the East Caribbean Conference on January 1, 1976, and Grenada became an administrative unit of the East Caribbean Conference on January 1, 1981. Grenada was later organized as a Mission on January 19, 1983, while Tobago was organized as a mission in 2004.
For those interested in knowing more about the work of Adventism in the Southern Caribbean here are some excellent resources: